Twitter is an interesting social media tool. Unlike Facebook, which helps those in direct sales and network marketing focus primarily on their “warm market” of family and friends, Twitter, when used correctly, opens you up to a whole new world of prospects. The underlying essentials of successful Twitter use remain the same as in all social media: build relationships, provide value, be interesting. Yet Twitter is fundamentally different from Facebook in that it could be called a “content engine.”
The true power of Twitter beyond the ability to build relationships is the content sharing that goes on there. There is a constant stream of links to relevant articles and blogs that can provide your business with a tremendous amount of value, if you’re paying attention. Facebook users tend to share things “in-network,” meaning that most of what occurs there stays on Facebook. But Twitter users regularly follow links to new content all over the Internet. And when used correctly, that can be a powerful tool for your business.
I’ve often said that your Twitter experience is dictated in large part by the people you follow. As a direct seller or network marketer, that means you should be following people in your target market, as well as others within our own industry who are providing a lot of value. Today’s post is about people within direct selling that you may be interested in following if you work in this industry. Please note that this is in no way intended to be a comprehensive list, and I encourage you to share the usernames of others you find valuable in the comments. And if you’d like to follow me on Twitter, my username is @JenFongSpeaks. (I used to use @liajen, but am slowly migrating off that account.)
So here’s my list of good people in direct sales and network marketing to follow on Twitter. (p.s. I am not mentioning company-specific accounts, although there are some great ones out there. Feel free to highlight yours in the comments.)
- DSNupdate: Direct Selling News is the industry publication for direct sales. Nancy Laichas, managing editor of Direct Selling News, uses this Twitter account to share breaking news from across the industry.
- julieannejones: Julie Anne Jones is a direct sales trainer who specializes in Party Plan. She constantly posts free tips and articles full of excellent information for the party plan direct seller.
- jackieulmer: On the Network Marketing end, Jackie Ulmer’s Twitter account and blog provide great information for the network marketer seeking to build his or her business.
- heatheramyprice: Heather Price is in the trenches building a direct selling business, sharing great tips and resources through both her Twitter account and blog. She’s definitely someone to check out!
- HarrietteJ: Another “in the trenches” Twitter user is Harriette Jasper. If you want an example of someone who is GREAT at building relationships on Twitter, and is experiencing great success with her overall social media marketing strategy (and is a great person, to boot!) you’ll want to check out Harriette.
- lisarobbinyoung: Lisa is both a direct seller and direct sales coach who started the hashtag #dstips on Twitter. If you do a Twitter search on #dstips, you’ll find tons of info that can help you build your direct selling business.
- Ravish30: Shelly Hill contributes a TON to the #dstips hashtag on Twitter. She’s another great giver on Twitter who provides information to help you do your job better.
- laurieayers: Laurie Ayers is one of the writers of one of my favorite Direct Sales blogs, WAHM 2.0. She provides tons of great tips that help direct sellers do their business better.
- lindastacy: Linda provides great wisdom for the direct seller. Her blog, Business Opportunity Network, has great articles too. (Have you all noticed a theme here…many of the great tweeters also have great blogs!)
- GoforNo: Andrea Waltz is Co-Author of Go for No!, and is working to help direct sellers create a mind shift about failure, rejection and the word: NO! She provides great tips and links to articles through her Twitter account.
- funfelt: Karen Clark has been using social media for a long time, is a regular commenter on this blog, and shares great tips and ideas through her funfelt Twitter account, as well as her new account MyBizPresence.
So those are (just some of) my favorites. Now it’s your turn! Who do you love to follow on Twitter that is helping you with your direct selling or network marketing business? And feel free to leave your own Twitter ID in the comments as well! (I’ll follow you!)