Anyone who wants to put out great content on the web HAS to read what others are writing. It is absolutely impossible to be the source of all good ideas yourself. You need to pay attention to the conversations going on outside in the bigger world, so the content you share is relevant and useful.
When I’m sitting looking at the blank “Add New Post” screen of my blog, and am not sure what to write, I flip over to my “Blogs I Read” folder. I scan through the content and see what topics might be interesting to my readers. I don’t rewrite their pieces, but I do think about how the topics might be adapted for a direct selling audience. Sometimes this technique helps me write some of my best pieces.
So today I wanted to share with you some of my favorite non-industry blogs. These are blogs I read regularly, that provide me with perspective as I share my ideas with you.
- Chris Brogan: Chris Brogan’s blog provides a ton of advice on ways to market effectively online. I have learned a great deal from his blog, and continue to do so.
- Seth Godin: Seth provides short, thought-provoking pieces related to general business topics that always make me think. This is one you don’t want to miss.
- Kommein: I feel like each article by Deb Ng on the Kommein blog is a little treat, just waiting to be unwrapped and savored. I’m a fairly new reader to her blog, and I enjoy each and every article she writes.
- Christopher Penn: Christopher Penn provides consistently good business and blogging advice. I’m a fairly new reader, and I really get a lot out of his blog.
- Copyblogger: Copyblogger is the gold standard when it comes to writing compelling content for your blog. Great advice that always makes me think. One of my favorites!
- Danny Brown: This one can be R-rated at times (a warning for those who care about that stuff) but Danny is sharp, and he isn’t just content to go along with how everyone else is thinking about something. He shares great advice and opinions that always make me think about marketing and PR.
- Social Media Examiner: A source of consistently great content related to social media, I really enjoy the Social Media Examiner blog.
So those are some of my favorite blog. What are some of your favorites? Please share in the comments!
image credit: Maria Reyes-McDavis