You know I like free and easy. Today’s post contains a little bit of both!
Yesterday I wrote an article about how to grow the community on your Facebook Page. One point we discussed was that it’s essential to have a Welcome tab as part of your Facebook Page. Even though the large majority of your future interactions will happen in the News Feed of people that Like your Page, they have to decide to click that “Like” button first. What the Welcome page does is tell visitors to your Page what your Page is all about, and the value they’ll gain when they click the “Like” button.
In fact, a May 2010 BrandGlue study showed that visitors to Pages with a landing tab converted to “people who like” the Page at a rate of 47%, while those without a custom landing tab converted at a rate of 23%.
Now you know I’m a big believer in keeping your Facebook Page super simple. You’re better off investing your time in building your community and creating compelling content than in tricking out your Page with a lot of bells and whistles. However there are 2 things I think are essential for a Facebook Page if you’re a direct seller, and these include the Welcome Tab, and a Newsletter Tab.
So today we’re going to talk about the easiest way I know of to add a Welcome Tab to your Facebook Page. Plus, it’s free. I’ve set it up on my own Facebook Page, and truly, it’s very simple to do.
Here’s my Welcome tab, using the method I show you below:
Here’s what you need to do:
Adding a Welcome Tab Using Pagemodo
- Navigate to http://www.pagemodo.com.
- Click the big blue “Get Started Now- Connect with Facebook” button in the middle of the page.
- Click the New Page button.
- Click the Welcome link above the templates that display.
- Preview the template you’d like to use for your Facebook Page by clicking on it. You’ll see a larger preview. (Note that templates that contain videos can only be used with a Pro account. If you want this to be free, skip the video.)
- Once you’ve fully decided on a template, click the yellow Customize button.
- Now it’s time to use the menus you can scroll through along the left side to customize your Page. As you make changes to photos, text, colors, etc, you’ll see them reflected on the Page preview on the right. (NOTE: If you choose a template with non-standard size images, you’ll need to use graphics software to create custom images. Otherwise Pagemodo will simply crop your images so they fit.) Be sure to highlight the benefits of “Like-ing” your Page so people understand why they should “Like” your Page.
- When you’re finished customizing, scroll to the bottom. You’re allowed one free page from Pagemodo. Click Personal, make sure only the box next to “Page” is checked below the Install button, and then click Install.
- Pagemodo will walk you through the steps of connecting your new Page to your Facebook Page.
This should add the Welcome Page to your Facebook Page. Then you need to make it the default landing place for anyone who is not already a fan of your Page. To do this, follow these steps:
Setting the Welcome Tab as Your Default Landing for Page Visitors
- Click the “Edit Page” button on the top-right corner of your Facebook Page.
- From the “Manage Permissions” section of the admin screen, find “Default Landing Tab.” From the drop-down menu, choose “Welcome.”
- Click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of this screen.
- Now all people who are not fans of your Page will automatically land on your Welcome page. People who are already part of your community will still land on the Wall.
So that’s it! An easy way to add a Welcome tab.
Did you try it? How did it work for you?