When social media first came on the scene, we didn’t realize right away how it would completely transform the industry. But it’s not done yet.
New forms of communication and the expectations of a generation (and those that follow) have changed the game. As a business that relies so heavily on social communication, this completely changes the game for our industry.
Here’s what we’re seeing (how about you?):
- People want to do “parties” on Facebook and other online venues without actually having to do them in person
- Training has to be short and mobile-accessible
- People hate talking on the phone, so they’re not showing up for your conference calls or making the calls that used to bring new business
- Online shopping has to be seamless and often mobile (people don’t have patience for your antiquated systems and barriers to entry…if you’re not as easy as Amazon they’ll go elsewhere)
- Your incentives just aren’t as motivating as they used to be
- Way more people are working other jobs in addition to their direct sales businesses than they used to, which means they have less time to do the business (so it’s harder to advance leaders in traditional compensation plan design)
- Consultants are spending a lot more time playing games like Farmville, Bejeweled Blitz and Words with Friends when they’re online, instead of working the business.
And that’s just scratching the surface.
So does this mean that our business model is becoming irrelevant? No, in my opinion. But it does mean that some serious adaptation is in store for all of us if we wish to continue to grow as an entrepreneurial option for millions.
The clients that are coming to me and my colleagues at Luce, Murphy, Fong and Associates are realizing that this shift is upon us, and we’re helping them begin to develop the systems that are essential to become the next generation of direct sales company. It may not look the same for either party plan or network marketing companies. But the core of empowering entrepreneurs with the skills they need to succeed is as strong as ever. My partners and I are excited about what we’re seeing. There is some truly amazing stuff coming.
Are you ready for the shift?