From Jennifer: My son came to work with me on 4/28/11, and learned about what I do all day as a home-based entrepreneur. It was a great experience, and my son wrote this guest post to share what he learned. Enjoy!
On Thursday, April 28, 2011 I stayed home for Bring Your Child to Work Day. I got to learn what my mom does all day. Here’s what I found out.
- In the morning she takes our dog Sugar out for a walk to town, Starbucks, and many other places.
- Next she writes her blog. But first she looks on Facebook to get inspired, like today. On Facebook one of her friends asked a question about social media and that got her gears moving. After she read the question, she went to her blog and posted an article about using your Facebook Page for Recruiting.
- A little time after that we checked the social networks. We looked on Twitter and Facebook. We also checked email. One of the emails was about what’s going on in social media. It was from Mashable.
- My mom asked people to say hi to me on Facebook if they had time. There were a LOT of responses!
- After we read the social networks, we worked on stuff on mom’s To Do list. Mom worked on a training project and a video campaign she’s planning for one of her clients. She also wrote a blog post for one of her clients. Meanwhile, my Dad wrote an editorial calendar for a client.
- Then, we went and printed out a US map and a World map. We also had a dry erase map which had the world on one side and the individual continents and countries on the other side. On the map, we figured out how many people visited mom’s blog from each country by looking at Google Analytics. There were a LOT of countries!
- After that we took a break. I read Robin Hood while mom worked with dad on the editorial calendar.
- We went to lunch at Panera. I had chicken noodle soup with bread on the side and a mango smoothie with whipped cream. It was good! My mom had a salad, black bean soup and an iced tea.
- After lunch we went home and worked some more projects on the to do list. We mainly worked on the video contest.
- I searched on the internet for recipes that mom’s company could use for one of her clients. The best website was http://www.squidoo.com/StarWarsBirthdayCakes.
Here’s some of the things I learned.
- My mom is an entrepreneur. An entrepreneur is someone who owns his or her own business. In other words…the boss!
- I also learned how my mom’s day is. (Work, work, work.)
- When we were pinpointing her clients I learned some of the countries’ names, like Argentina, Ethiopia, and Perth in Australia.
- It surprised me that my mom had to do so much work in so little time.
- I’ve learned that you can’t just write a blog as easily as you can write an email. You have to add categories, tags, links, and more.
It was a lot of fun going to work with my mom!!!