You know, staring at the empty status update box, or the blank “Add new blog post” screen, and have absolutely no idea what to write about? It happens to everyone. There are some days when we’ve got a fire in the belly, and know exactly what we want to share. And there are other days when we feel like we’ve said it all already, and how could we possibly come up with something interesting that our target market would care about?
Successful social media marketing for a direct selling business involves sharing content that your target market can use right now without spending a dime. You need to be consistently relevant, useful, and/or interesting in order to get people to relate to you, and to build relationships with them.
So what do you do when you feel like you’ve run out of things to say?
- Go read the status updates of your target market. What are they discussing? What questions are they asking? That may give you some direction as to things you can write yourself, or content you can look for, and link to.
- Go read the status updates of thought leaders in your market. Often they will share links or ideas that spark new ideas for you.
- Ask a question. Interested in what questions your target market has about your topic? Ask them! You can either do this through a status update, or as a blog post.
- Read blog posts in your niche. What are other people writing about? Which topics seem to interest people the most? What could you put your own spin to?
- Read blog posts outside your niche. Sometimes there are things going on in the wider world that you can customize for your niche. How can you open their minds?
- Just start writing (this works for blog posts.) Don’t worry about topic yet. Just start putting your thoughts down, and find out what direction you go. You can always clean it up and make it focused later.
Everybody runs out of things to say sometimes. But that doesn’t give you a pass from participating daily with your target market online. You must may need to get a little more creative, and FIND some new ideas.
What do you think? How do you come up with new ideas? And what would YOU like to know more about when you read this blog? Looking forward to reading your comments below!