As a direct seller, one of the first things you’ll want to do is set up a Facebook Page for your business. (Not clear about the difference between a Facebook Page and a personal Facebook Profile? Read this first.)
A Facebook business page is the place where you can share information about your business from which you will earn money. So, for example, you can share your latest specials, information about your opportunity, or invite people to a virtual party. The bottom line is this: if you may potentially make money as a result of the post, it MUST be posted on a Page and not a Profile.
So how do you set up a Facebook Page? It’s simple! Just follow these steps.
- Navigate to any Facebook Page. You can even go to mine at http://facebook.com/jenfongspeaks (Be sure to like my Page while you’re there!) Click the Create a Page button as shown in the screenshot below.
- You’ll come to the Create a Page screen on Facebook. Here you must choose a category for your Facebook Page. While it may not be immediately obvious which one to choose as an independent direct seller, I recommend that you choose Company, Organization, or Institution.
- Next, you’ll choose Retail and Consumer Merchandise from the “Choose a Category” drop-down, and name your Page. I recommend that you title your Page with your full name and your title. For example, “Sue Smith, Independent Tealightful Consultant.” You’ll also want to check the box that says “I agree to Facebook Pages Terms.” Then click the Get Started button.
- Now you’ll be prompted to add your photo. This is the main profile photo for your Page, and will be shown whenever you post as your Page on Facebook. I suggest you use your headshot, and not a logo. Remember, people do business with people, not logos. Your unique advantage as a direct seller is YOU. People are doing business with you and not some faceless corporation. So use your face! Click the Upload From Computer link.
- Select your headshot from the files on your computer. Then once it uploads, click the Next button.
- Your next step is to add information about your Page. This is the information that will appear below your cover image, as well as on your About page which is linked below your cover image. Add a fun description for your business that will encourage people to want to find out more. You’ll also want to add a link to your personal website, and if you’ve got a Pinterest account, Twitter account, or blog, you can also link to that from here. I have to tell you I’m a little stumped about the “Will this Page represent a real organization…” question, but at the moment I think “Yes” is the right answer. Once you’ve filled all this in, click the Save Info button.
- You will then be taken to your new Facebook Page. Notice the admin panel at the top. As your Page grows and fans interact, you’ll see notifications and messages here, as well as analytics (once you have at least 30 fans.) You’re not quite done setting up your page yet though! You still need to add a Facebook Cover Image, Like your Page, and invite friends to Like it.
- Let’s start by adding a Cover image. This is the large image that you see at the top of Facebook Profiles and Pages. (If you need help choosing a cover image, start here.) Once you’ve selected your image, click the Add a Cover button.
- Facebook will pop up a prompt informing you of Cover Photo guidelines. Primarily, they can’t be advertisements or include links or websites. Click the Okay button.
- The “Add a Cover” menu then appears (you may need to scroll down a little to see it.) You’ll most likely want to choose Upload Photo.
- Select your photo from your computer. (Be sure you have the rights to use whatever photo you choose!) Once you’ve selected it, Facebook will display a portion of it within the space. You have the option of clicking and dragging the photo so the portion you choose is displayed. Once you like the way it looks, click the Save Changes button.
- Just like on your Facebook Profile, you can share status updates, photos, links, events and more from the Status Update box on the left below your About information. (p.s. Note that you can set up Events right from this box by clicking Event, Milestone +.)
- And be sure to click the Like button on the right so that your profile is the first personal account to Like your Business Page!
- Once you’ve shared some content, it’s time to tell your friends about your new Page! Scroll up to the Admin panel of your Page (above the cover photo). There are several ways to invite people. You can click the “Build Audience” drop-down and choose Invite Friends… (for Facebook friends on your personal account) or Invite Email Contacts (for people you’re not friends with on Facebook). You can also click the Invite Friends link in the New Likes section in the bottom-left corner (this will only appear here until you have people who have liked your Page.) Finally, the Invite Friends section on the bottom-right also displays friends it suggests you invite, and you can click the See All link to invite more friends.
- Choosing any of the Invite Friends on Facebook options will bring up the Invite Friends dialog box. From here you can select any friends you want to invite to like your Page. By default, Facebook displays friends that you’ve recently interacted with on Facebook. However you can use the drop-down box in the top-left of this box to choose from other groups of friends, or all friends. Click the box next to each friend you want to invite to like your Page, and then click the Submit button.
- Once you click the Submit button, your friends will receive a notification that you’ve invited them to like your Page.
So now that you’ve set up your Facebook Page, it’s time to go out and share great content, build community, and get to know people. See you on Facebook!