If you look at the comments on my posts, you’ll see that some folks have their photographs show up, and some have a quilt square next to their comments. Did you ever wonder why that was? Would you like for your profile photo to show up everywhere you make a comment on the Internet?
It’s actually very simple to do with a service called Gravatar, which helps you create a universal “avatar” photo that sites around the web can pull from.
Now if you have a WordPress free blog, you may already have a Gravatar. There is a relationship between WordPress and Gravatar, so that if you have uploaded a profile photo in WordPress, it will appear as your Gravatar.
If you don’t have a WordPress blog, though, you can still get a Gravatar. Here’s what to do.
- Navigate to http://www.gravatar.com. Click “Get Your Gravatar Today.”
- Enter your email address.
- Click the confirmation link you get in an email from Gravatar.
- Create a username and password after clicking the link, and click “Signup.”
- Now it’s time to select your universal profile photo. Click the blue text that reads “Add one by clicking here!”
- Select where your profile photo is stored. This is most likely on your hard drive.
- Click Choose File and select your headshot. Click Open on the image window. Then click Next.
- Your Gravatar has to be a perfect square. If the photo you uploaded is not a square, you’ll be prompted to crop it. Make sure you like the way your previews look, and then click Crop and Finish.
- Choose a rating for your Gravatar (this had better be G!!!)
- That’s it! You can make edits to your Gravatar from this screen, or you can close out for now. Within a few hours, your universal Gravatar should be showing up around the web.
See how easy that was? Now go get your Gravatar!