This morning I participated in a Blue Key Tweetathon. It’s not something I’ve done before, and honestly it was a lot of fun.
What is a tweetathon, you ask?
Basically, there were a team of Blue Key Champions who signed up for an hour each to tweet (on Twitter) about the refugee crisis going on, and to encourage people to purchase a $5 Blue Key to support the cause. I shared tweets such as:
- Some 43.7 million people were forcibly displaced worldwide at end of 2010, the highest number of people uproouted since mid-1990s.
- There are more than 43 million refugees worldwide http://ow.ly/5d54i Your $5
#bluekey could open a new door for them.
- If you’re in
#directsales, consider giving each hostess a #bluekey as a hostess gift. Very meaningful! http://ow.ly/5d4VC
- I gave my daughter a
#bluekey and it opened the conversation w/ my kids about refugees. http://twitpic.com/7fcw5t
- 41% of world’s refugees are children under 18, 11% are under the age of 5. Help here: http://bit.ly/tlsZlF
@jnamadan: Skip the Venti latte for today. Get your #bluekey for a worthy cause http://bit.ly/rPTFyC Thank you!
- For just $5, your
#bluekey could help @UNRefugeeAgency save a life. Get your key today: http://ow.ly/5d4VC
#BlueKey is a great corporate gift too…a way to show your organization cares. http://ow.ly/5d4VC
- If you’re in real estate, a
#bluekey makes a really meaningful “welcome home” gift. http://ow.ly/5d4VC
- I hope that lots of
#directsales companies will share abt #bluekey like @Seriluna_USA did today. We make a difference! http://ow.ly/5d4VC
- I’ll be giving
#BlueKey pendants as gifts to each of my kids’ teachers with a note abt what it means. Helps refugees & teaches!
It was really fun to participate, and it certainly makes a big difference. In many ways, the refugee crisis is a silent one. People aren’t aware of the scope of the problem, and so many of these people are children. Direct selling has always had a big heart for helping others. Won’t you step up and buy a $5 Blue Key today? and encourage the people in your company to do the same?
Think about what you can do with it:
- Wear one yourself, to spark conversations about the plight of refugees and generate awareness.
- Give one to each of your kids’ teachers (I’m doing this). This might even open up conversations in the classroom! (And here are some great free classroom resources/lesson plans that unrefugees.org provides for teachers: http://www.unrefugees.org/site/c.lfIQKSOwFqG/b.4803793/k.89B4/Lesson_Plans.htm)
- Give them as gifts to your hostesses during your holiday parties.
- Give them with your corporate gifts to demonstrate your business’ commitment to helping others.
I’m sure you can think of more applications, and I hope you’ll share them in the comments.
So what say you? Are you in? Will you buy a blue key (or several) yourself, and encourage others to do the same? Together we can make a difference.
p.s. Want to join in on the fun? Just follow the hashtag #bluekey all day on Twitter to see great tweets from other Blue Key champions. I hope you’ll join us, and retweet content to your friends!