This post is inspired by a conversation I saw on the Facebook Page of Kim Castleberry. It was a great point, and something I hadn’t given a lot of thought to. So thank you, Kim, for a great conversation starter.
Recently Facebook has given us the option of commenting on other Facebook Pages as our Page as opposed to our Profile. Essentially, this means that you can either leave a comment as yourself, or as your Page. On the surface, you can look at this and say, “Hey! This is great for branding and traffic. Everyone will see my comment and come to my Facebook Page.”
To which I reply with a hesitant “Yes, but…”
Kim and some of the commenters shared some great guidelines in the discussion I saw on her Page. Some of these include:
- If the discussion is relevant to the context of your Page, you may leave a comment as your Page. (But avoid overdoing it, or you could get banned by the Page’s admin as overly self-promotional.)
- If the Page you’re leaving a comment on is completely unrelated to your Page, comment as your Profile.
- If you comment as your Page, and your name isn’t included in your Page title, be sure to SIGN your post with your name (so you’re seen as a person, rather than a logo.) For example, at the end of your post add: ~ Jennifer
- Don’t be overly self-promotional when commenting as your Page (or your Profile, for that matter!) Be sure every comment you leave is relevant to the discussion.
Here are some other tips I would share with you, should you decide to comment as your Page.
- Avoid posting brand new comments to a Page’s Wall as your Page. This can be perceived as spamming, especially if your Page’s picture is a logo or a product (it really should be your photo.) If you must leave a wall post as a Page, do it with GREAT discretion.
- If the Page you are commenting on is a competitor of yours, it is bad manners to comment as your Page. Comment as your Profile only.
So you may be saying to yourself, “I didn’t even know I COULD comment as my Page! How do I do that?”
It’s quite simple.
- In the upper-right corner of Facebook, click Account.
- Select “Use Facebook as Page.” If you have more than one Page, you’ll need to select the Page you want to comment as.
Now when you navigate to any Facebook Page, you’ll leave a comment as your Page, as opposed to your Profile.
Do you comment as your Page? How do you feel about it when Pages comment on your Page? Is there any other advice you would give? Would love to read your thoughts in the comments below.