One of the great things about direct selling is that it is a “systems” business. If you follow the system laid out for your by your company and upline, you will make money. It’s that simple. Sure, you have to do the work. But if you do the business as it’s been laid out for you, you will experience success, just as the many before you who have used the system have.
So why are some people so much more successful than others?
Well level of effort certainly has something to do with it. But it’s more than that. The most successful people have a passion for this business and the impact it can have on people’s lives. They’re not just in it for themselves (even if that’s why they got started initially.) I speak to a lot of leaders in this business, and this is a constant I find in all of them. If you want to be hugely successful in direct sales or network marketing, you have to be PASSIONATE about the success of others.
So how do you tap into that yourself? How do you use that passion to grow your own business that helps people? Here are some tips:
- Recruit. You will never help others if you’re not willing to recruit people into the business. Set a recruiting goal every month, and do as many opportunity interviews as it takes to get there. You KNOW how this business can make a difference in people’s lives. Don’t be afraid to put it out there. Offer everyone the opportunity.
- Lead Confidently. Banish the self-talk that says that you’re too new at this business, or not successful enough, to be able to help anyone else. Every day you put into this business is valuable experience you can use to help others. If you don’t know the answer to a question, that’s what your upline is for. But don’t let the worry that you might not be able to answer a question hold you back from making a significant impact in the lives of others.
- Listen. The stories people tell are powerful, and can awaken that passion within you to help. Take the time to ask for and then listen to the stories of others. Discover their hopes and dreams, so you can help them develop a plan to get there with their businesses.
- Don’t Recreate the Wheel. There is a system in place that has worked for many before you in the business. Make sure you understand the system, work the system in your own business, and pass that system along to the people on your team. You don’t have to change things up to be an effective leader. Focus instead on the basics, which anyone can use to be successful.
- Celebrate Success. One of the greatest things about this business is that we recognize people for their efforts. And for some people, it’s the only recognition they’ve received in a long time. Do you have any idea how that impacts people? It’s HUGE. Recognize the people, and watch their faces. If that doesn’t inspire you, nothing will.
We are a people business, and true success only comes if you help MANY people achieve their own goals. It’s part of what makes this business model so unique, and compelling. And it’s one of the reasons that people fall in love with this industry, and never want to leave.
How do you help others in your business? How has it led to your own success? Would love to read your thoughts in the comments below.