You may have noticed that your Facebook has been behaving a little strangely. Yes, they’ve done it again. They’ve made some pretty big changes to the interface. And it appears that there is actually more to come, if today’s article in Mashable is any indication.
Now there are plenty of places online that you can find all the details on the changes, including Facebook itself. You can also get rid of the ticker (if you hate it) by using the Chrome browser with this extension.
But there is an AMAZING amount of negativity and complaining flying around on Facebook and other social networks about the changes. Sure, it’s different. But it’s like people aren’t even giving it a chance before they decide they hate it. As I said yesterday, “Just remember, the Facebook interface you want back is the one you hated the last time they changed.”
So on my Facebook Page yesterday, I shared with you some of the cool, new stuff that is part of the Facebook platform now, and I asked you to share some of the things you liked too. Yes, it has changed. It’s not likely it’s going to change back, if Facebook’s history is any indication. So here are some positives about the new interface:
- If you use Lists, they’re a lot easier to access now. From the News Feed, click “More” next to Lists. Next to each list you’ve created is a little pencil icon. This allows you to add the list to “Favorites.” Once it’s in Favorites, it’s always top-left on your Facebook Home Page. Clicking it will only show updates from that list.
- Now the Pages that you admin appear on the sidebar of your Facebook home page, and tell you how many interactions have happened with the Pages since the last time you checked. Very convenient.
- One of the advantages to viewing your lists…the live stream goes away.
- If you admin multiple pages, you know that sometimes if you’re logged in as one page, and you forget to use Facebook as yourself, you accidentally wind up commenting as a Page on another Page. But now that the name of the Page/Profile you’re logged in as, as well as the main profile image, appears in the top-right, you can double-check easily before posting.
- What’s nice about the ticker is that if you mouse over an individual item, the whole post appears. That saves you a click, and on slower internet connections that can be meaningful.
- Really like the birthday feed! Click on the gift box right below the ticker, and it pops up a list with ALL birthdays, along with a place to write on everyone’s wall in one place.
So those are some of the things I’ve found that I liked. Here are some of the things that you shared:
Yes, we are creatures of habit. Yes, change is hard. But if we decide we hate it before we even give it a chance, we’re just going to be miserable. You’ll get used to this change just like you did with the last one. Approach it with an attitude of adventure! You may even find some features that you like better in this version.
It’s worth it to try.
So what do you like about the new Facebook layout? Would love to read YOUR positive thoughts in the comments below.